Sunday, July 6, 2008

Another Cake

Last week, Rachel and I got to put our cake-making skills to work! We had a birthday party after church last Sunday night for one of our ladies' 90th birthday. Unfortunately, it came on a weekend when we were really busy, but we managed to get everything done. I baked the cakes and made the frosting and helped frost some of the cakes, while Rachel made the roses and did the decorating. The only thing that went wrong was that some of the roses slid down the cake on Sunday afternoon, but Rachel was able to fix them pretty easily. We used four cake mixes and four batches of icing (that's 8 lbs of sugar!) Dad kept making jokes in church about our cake, and he told everyone that since we were afraid that it may fall, we had to fortify it with wooden dowel rods. He said we should have just put some concrete in the cake mix! All cakes that are that big have to have dowel rods or something to support them, but I guess everyone doesn't know that! But everyone said the cake tasted good, and only one person got a dowel rod in the cake (I've never cut a cake before! At least it was one of my sisters!!! LOL!) But this morning, Dad was still talking about the "earthquake cake" that we made one time! I don't think he's gonna ever let us forget that one! :-)


doesn't she look good for 90 years old?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! I might not eat any more of your cakes since I was the one to get the dowel rod in my piece! Some cake baker you are-using wood sticks to hold it up!

Esther

Rebekah said...

Thank you for your kind remark, my sister! :-)

Stephen and Kelly said...

I think the cake is beautiful so is the quilt. You have a lot of talents and are using them for the Lord.

Kelly Doolittle

Rebekah said...

Thanks! :-)

Nina in Portugal said...

Been missing you...hope all is well.

Anonymous said...

You gonna ever post again? It's been a long time since your last one!