Sunday, November 13, 2011

Honduras - Day Thirteen

I'm so thankful that it worked out for me to come to Honduras again.  But even though I've had a great visit, there's been times when I've missed my family terribly!  I especially miss playing bluegrass with my sisters!  But it's just given me a small idea of what it must be like for a missionary family to leave their family in the states.  Of course, it's not like missionaries in years gone by, who only had contact with their family through (often unreliable) mail correspondence.  They have access to phone and internet here so that family can be quickly and easily contacted, but it still is not the same as being with your family!

We've come in contact only twice Americans in the two weeks I've been here:  once it was a couple of soldiers from the U. S. military base, who happened to stop by a little roadside market at the same time as us  (they only introduced themselves, and spoke briefly), and then again today we met an American family (the lady was actually from Chile) who just moved here.  It's just given me a small glimpse of the culture shock that missionaries have to deal with every single day living here in this foreign country.

We were driving through the town of Lajamani yesterday, and saw a crowd of people walking, carrying a baby casket to be buried at the cemetery.  It is so sad to think that most of those people probably have no hope of seeing that precious baby again!  Somebody has to let them know that there is hope, and that there is a way we can be sure of Heaven when we die, and that it's not because of anything we do or don't do, but because of what Jesus did!  And that is why the missionaries make sacrifices, and move to foreign countries.


  




 


No comments: